The Ruins: Taj Mahal of Negros
Used to be the Don Mariano Ledesma Lacson Ancestral House, The Ruins is now a magnificent structure that strives to remind its glorious past.
Supervised by one of his sons, the sugar baron built the mansion in the early 1900′s for his first wife, Maria Braga, a Portuguese from Macau. The imposing structure was of Italian architecture. Its concrete mixture even used egg white.
However its glory had to face an abrupt end during the onslaught of Japanese invasion in the Negros Island. As the United States Army Forces in the Far East or USAFFE determined that the imperial army would use it as their headquarters, they burned the mansion to the ground. The raging inferno took three days before it reduced to ruins.
The Ruins however still stands proud today, even making tourists awed at any time of the day, though the best time to visit would be at dusk. It is a magnificent place for wedding ceremonies and celebrations of other memorable occasions.
- From Manila: take any Bacolod-bound flight of PAL, Cebu Pacific, and Air Asia.
- From Bacolod City: take a Mandalagan-bound jeep; drop off in Circumferential Road, near Bacolod North-bound Ceres Bus Terminal.
- From Silay City: take a Bacolod-bound Ceres bus; drop off in Circumferential Road, near Bacolod North-bound Ceres Bus Terminal.
- From Lacson cor. Circumferential Road: take a tricycle going to The Ruins.