Agusan del Norte is the northwesternmost province of the Caraga Region. On June 17, 1967, upon the enactment of Republic Act No. 4979, the former province of Agusan was split into two, Agusan del Norte and Agusan del Sur. The Municipalities of Carmen, Nasipit, Buenavista, Cabadbaran, Tubay, Jabonga, Kitcharao, and Las Nieves comprised Agusan del Norte. Butuan City was retained as the capital.
Under Dean C. Worcester, the Philippine Commission by virtue of Act No. 1693 created the province of Agusan on August 20, 1907. The new province was composed of the sub-provinces of Butuan and Malaybalay.
RA 4979 was authored by Congressman Jose C. Aquino, the last governor of the undivided province. The first governor of the new province is Consuelo Calo, Aquino’s vice governor. She held the position from 1967 up to 1986.
Although Republic Act No. 8811 was signed into law on August 16, 2000, transferring the capital and seat of government to Cabadbaran City, Butuan is still the de facto capital. The capitol was built in 1951, under Governor Servano Jongko, in a sprawling lot donated by the first governor of Agusan, Teofisto Guingona, Sr.
Note: This is part of LegendHarry‘s Nov 21-29 Northern Mindanao-Caraga-Davao Trip.