The early years of the American occupation in the Philippine islands saw a great transition of governance as models and forms of civilian governments were formed and transformed. Old Spanish encomiendas and military districts were either further subdivided or fused together. In Mindanao, the military districts of Cotabato, Davao, Lanao, Sulu, and Zamboanga formed the Moro Province, which could probably be the single largest province in Philippine history.
In the wide expanse of Agusan Valley, a new province was created by the Philippine Commission under Dean C. Worcester. By virtue of Act No. 1693, Agusan was made into province on August 20, 1907. Malaybalay was part of this new province.
Further reorganizations followed soon after.
On December 20, 1913, the Moro Province was renamed as the Department of Mindanao and Sulu in pursuant of Act No. 2309, annexing Agusan and Malaybalay in the process.
On June 17, 1967, upon the enactment of Republic Act No. 4979 authored by Congressman Jose C. Aquino, the former province of Agusan was split into two, Agusan del Norte and Agusan del Sur.The new province of Agusan del Sur was comprised of the municipalities of Bayugan, Esperanza, Prosperidad, San Francisco, Bunawan, Talacogon, La Paz, Loreto, Vereula, and Santa Josefa. Prosperidad was set as the capital.
The Provincial Capitol is located in the sprawling Governor Democrito O. Plaza Government Center, named after the province’s former governor, assemblyman and congressman, and patriarch of the Plaza clan that dominated Agusan politics.
Note: This is part of LegendHarry‘s Nov 21-29 Northern Mindanao-Caraga-Davao Trip.