Provincial Capitol: Davao del Norte
One of the districts of the defunct Moro Province and later known as the Department of Mindanao and Sulu was Davao. Davao and Agusan, Bukidnon, Cotabato, Lanao, Sulu, and Zamboanga were converted to provinces when the Philippine Commission approved Act No. 2408 (under Chapter II, The Provincial Governments; Article 8, Preliminary Provisions; Section 19) on September 1, 1914.
Because of its sheer size owing to the fact that it nearly occupied one-fifth of the island of Mindanao, the Davao province was further subdivided into three: Davao del Norte, Davao del Sur, and Davao Oriental. On May 8, 1967, President Ferdinand E. Marcos signed into law Republic Act No. 4867 during the Second Regular Session of the 6th Congress. It was initiated by Lorenzo S. Sarmiento, Sr., representing the Lone District of Davao del Norte.
Under RA 4867, the Province of Davao del Norte consisted of the municipalities of Babak, Samal, Tagum, Sto. Tomas, Asuncion, Kapalong, Panabo, Nabunturan, Mon-Kayo, Mawab, Mabini, Compostela, and Pantukan (Section 1). Tagum was designated as the capital (Section 2).
On July 1, 1967, Verulo Boiser, a popular broadcaster and a provincial board member, was appointed as the first governor of the new province. He went on to served ten years, including the last eight as elected governor for two consecutive terms. Built during his term, the Provincial Capitol is located in the Provincial Government Center.
Note: This is part of LegendHarry‘s Nov 21-29 Northern Mindanao-Caraga-Davao Trip.