At the tip of Bicol Peninsula is the southernmost province of mainland Luzon, Sorsogon. It is surrounded by different bodies of water: Albay Gulf, the Philippine Sea, San Bernardino Strait, Ticao Pass, Sorsogon Bay and Burias Pass.
Although separated from the Province of Albay on October 17, 1894, the provisions of the Provincial Government Act (Act No. 83) was extended to Sorsogon by the Philippine Commission. On April 30, 1901, Sorsogon was created as a province by virtue of Act No. 124. Mario Guariño served as the first governor from 1901 to 1912.
Located along the Pan-Philippine Highway, the Provincial Capitol was built in June 1916 under the administration of Governor Victor Eco. In 2011, the late Secretary Jesse Robredo of the Department of the Interior and Local Government conferred the Province of Sorsogon the Seal of Good Housekeeping “in recognition of its effort in advancing the principles of accountability and transparency in local governance.”