Provincial Capitol: Abra
One of the landlocked and mountainous provinces of the Philippines is Abra. Formerly part of the bigger province of Ilocos during the Spanish occupation, Abra was granted formal and full provincehood status upon the enactment of Act No. 206 on August 19, 1901. It extended the provisions of Act No. 83, otherwise known as The Provincial Government Act issued on February 2, 1901. It named Bangued as its capital town.
Furthermore, Act No. 206 set the annual salary of the provincial governor, secretary, treasurer, supervisor, and fiscal at $1000, $900, $1200, $900, and $900, respectively. Curiously, because there was “no regularly admitted member of the Bar of the Supreme Court of the Islands, it shall not be a necessary qualification of the Provincial Fiscal that he be a member of such bar.”
The current Provincial Capitol building was built during the administration of Governor Luis F. Bersamin, Sr. in 1951. Like the capitols of the provinces of Surigao del Norte and Batanes, it was rebuilt with the aid of the people of the United States of America under the Philippine Rehabilitation Act of 1946 (Tydings War Damage Act).