Bahay Nakpil-Bautista: Home of Heroes of the 1896 Revolution
Deep into the heart of Manila is a house replete with history. It was here where the Lakambini of the Katipunan spent her life after the Philippine-Spanish Revolution. It was also here where a famous family of jewelers lived.
This historic house was built in 1914 by Dr. Ariston Bautista for his wife Petrona Nakpil based on the design by famous architect Arcadio Arellano. It was built on the site of a previous Nakpil house. Dr. Bautista was a Propagandist and friend of Dr. José P. Rizal. He was a physician, a philanthropist and the discoverer of a medicine that cured cholera.
Julio Nakpil (1877-1960), revolutionary and composer of the songs of the Katipunan, with his wife Gregoria de Jesus (1876-1943), the muse of the KKK and widow of Andres Bonifacio, their son Juan Nakpil (1899-1986) and his cousin Angel Nakpil (1914-1979), both renowned architects, lived in this historic house.
The Bahay is a masterpiece of traditional Filipino architecture: a wood and stone style house (bahay na bato at kahoy). To resist earthquakes, the upper storey is made of wood, its foundation is made of stone. It has large windows, high ceilings, sliding window panels. Its geometric grill work and cut-outs were inspired by the Viennese art movement in the 1900’s, the Secession.
The Bahal Nakpil-Bautista is now managed by Bahay Nakpil-Bautista Foundation, Inc. which exists so that it “flourishes as a recognized architectural masterpiece, a nationally significant historical site, a center for community activities and urban revitalization, a forum for nation-building, and a platform for projecting Filipino art and culture internationally.”
- Igalang at mahalin ang magulang pagka’t ito ang pangalawang Diyos sa lupa.
- Alalahanin tuwina ang mga banal na aral ng mga bayani na nasawi dahil sa pag-ibig sa bayan.
- Huwag magaksaya ng panahon ng di pamarisan.
- Pagsikapang magkaroon ng anomang karunungan na tumutugon sa kanyang hilig upang pakinabangan ng bayan.
- Ang kabaitan ay alalahaning isang malaking kayamanan.
- Igalang ang mga gurong nagpapamulat ng isip pagka’t kung utang sa magulang ang pagiging tao utang naman sa nagturo ang pagpapakatao.
- Iligtas ang api sa panganib.
- Matakot sa kasaysayan pagka’t walang lihim na di nahahayag.
- Kung napaingatan ang kasamaan ay doon manggagaling ang malaking karangalan.
- Sikapin ang ikapagkaisa ng lahat at ikauunlad ng bayan upang huwag magkaroon ng sagabal ang kasarinlan.
To visit Bahay Nakpil-Bautista, contact the curator Dr. Teresita Obusan or visit their website at http://bahaynakpil.org/.