The outbreak of the Second World War called for extraordinary gallantry sacrificed at the pantheon of nationalism, independence and freedom. Many were called to defend the Motherland. And then there was Ferdinand Edralin Marcos and his 9000-strong Ang Maharlika guerilla unit who waged battles and scored victories in Northern Luzon.
I have previously blogged the exemplary heroism of Brigadier General Vicente Lim who was posthumously awarded with Legion of Merit and the Purple Heart, the hero of the Battle of Layac Junction Sergeant Jose Calugas who was given the Medal of Honor and so were Lieutenant Julian Chua and Cecilio Garcia who received the Distinguished Service Cross, then, finally, Captain Jesus A. Villamor who was bestowed with two Distinguished Service Cross and Oak Leaf Cluster. There was no doubt about their services rendered and honors received as they have been universally recognized.
On the other hand, Captain Ferdinand E. Marcos amassed the following 32 medals and citations:
- Medal of Valor
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Purple Heart
- 1st and 2nd Philippine Legion of Honor
- Wounded Soldier’s Medal
- Wounded Soldier’s Medal (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Bronze Anahaw Leaf)
- Philippine Independence Medal
- Philippine Defense Service Medal
- Philippine Republic Presidential Unit Citation Badge
- Philippine Liberation Medal
- World War II Victory Medal
- American Defense Service Medal
- Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal
- Combat Infantry Man’s Badge
- Gold Cross
- Gold Cross (1st, 2nd, 3rd Bronze Anahaw Leaf)
- 1st and 2nd Silver Star
- Distinguished Service Cross
- Distinguished Conduct Star (1st and 2nd Bronze Anahaw Leaf)
- Distinguished Service Star
- Distinguished Service Star (1st Bronze Anahaw Leaf)
But the heroism and exploits of Lt. Ferdinand E. Marcos and his guerillas have been time and time again disputed and debunked. But are we going to see the end of those debates and questions on the veracity of these medals and citations? Or the Philippine society as it is now stands will even care to find its closure for this and other Marcos-related issues?