The ecclesiastical administration of Camalaniugan was accepted by the Dominicans on June 15, 1596. The church and the convent were destroyed by fire in 1719. They were rebuilt but were destroyed again by the typhoon of October 7, 1845.
Forged in 1595, the Sancta Maria bell is deemed the oldest in Asia. In 1793, the bell was brought to Manila to become attractions during the 33rd International Eucharistic Congress on February 3-7, 1937.