Provincial Capitol: Quezon
The Philippine Commission, by authority of the president of the United States, launched in full swing the reorganization of civil governments all over the Philippine islands. The provisions of Act No. 83 otherwise known as the Provincial Government Act of 1901 was extended to the Province of Tayabas under Act No. 103 approved on March 12, 1901.
Pursuant to the provisions of Act No. 1637 approved on April 30, 1907, a loan of P60,000.00 was appropriated from the funds of the Bureau of Treasury solely for the construction of provincial capitol buildings. The same law also set aside loans to the provinces of Rizal (P75,000.00) and Laguna (P60,000.00).
Highly recommended by Daniel Burnham, William E. Parsons was appointed as consulting architect to the Philippine Commission and with it was general architectural supervision over the design of all public buildings and parks throughout the country. One of his creations was the Tayabas Provincial Capitol in 1908.
The Tayabas Capitol was built during the administration of Governor Domingo Lopez on a lot donated by Atty. Filemon Perez. The highly esteemed Perez eventually became the province’s governor from 1922 to 1928. The Capitol is located at Perez Park.
In 1930, the capitol was rebuilt and enlarged during the administration of Governor Leon G. Guinto and finished in 1935 during the term of Governor Maximo Rodriguez. Along with other provincial capitols, it was destroyed during the Second World War and was rebuilt with the aid of the people of the United States of America under the Philippine Rehabilitation Act of 1946 (Tydings War Damage Act).