Provincial Capitol: Antique

featured_slider-Antique_Capitol

Oral history and traditions state that the Province of Antique and all of Panay Island was first inhabited by a tribe called Negritos. It further claimed that in 1212, Datu Puti and nine other Malay chiefs arrived in the island. They were welcomed by Datu Marikudo and Queen Maniwantiwan who were lavished with gifts such as golden salakot and necklace and other troves of treasures; he in turn threw a great feast. Eventually, the Ati king and queen and their subjects left the coastal areas and lowlands to the Malays and resettled in the hinterlands of Panay.

New Antique CapitolThe settlement was named Hantik because of the abundance of giant red ants and over time became Hantique and finally Antique. On April 13, 1901, the Philippine Commission extended the provisions of Act No. 83 or otherwise known as The Provincial Government Act of 1901 creating the Province of Antique by virtue of Act No. 114. The Municipality of San Jose remained as the capital of the province (Section 6).

Old Antique CapitolNow called as Museo Antiqueño, the Old Provincial Capitol contains the Lola Masing Center for Culture and Peace and the memorabilia of the late Governor Evelio B. Javier.

Note: This is part of LegendHarry‘s July 30-August 8, 2013 Panay Island Backpacking Trip.

(489)