The Church of Santa Barbara took a long period of time to be built. In 1849, Father Francisco Agueria started the construction of the church under the patronage of Saint Barbara the Virgin and Martyr. Father Mateo Rodriguez continued it from 1855 to 1873. Finally, Father Calixto Fernandez finished the church in 1878.
During the Philippine Revolution, General Martin Delgado convened a junta in Santa Barbara, Iloilo to continue the struggle for freedom. On November 17, 1898, the Church of Santa Barbara became the headquarters of the ejercito libertador (liberation army) when General Delgado established the revolutionary government in the Visayas.
The church and its adjacent convent survived the Philippine Revolution, the Philippine-American War, the Second World War, and the Intensity 8.1 earthquake on January 24, 1948 .
On July 6, 1990, the National Historical Institute declared the church and the convent as national historical landmarks pursuant to NHI Resolution No. 1.
In 1973, the National Historical Commission installed a marker at the General Delgado Monument in Santa Barbara, Iloilo as a fitting recognition to the revolutionary general and the first governor of Iloilo.
Note: This is part of LegendHarry‘s July 30-August 8, 2013 Panay Island Backpacking Trip.