The Ermita Chapel Historical Landmark in Dumangas, Iloilo
Father Martin De Rada, OSA may have built the first church and convent of Dumangas, Iloilo in 1572. In the same year, however, Father Juan de Alva constructed the first stone church in Panay Island in a small place called Ermita which means chapel. It was built in the hilly part of the present-day Dumangas. A new chapel was built in the former location of Ermita and the ruins of the former chapel can still be seen inside.
Pursuant to the provisions of Presidential Decree No. 260 issued by President Ferdinand E. Marcos on August 1, 1973, as amended by Presidential Decree No. 375 approved on January 14, 1974 and by Presidential Decree No. 1505 dated June 11, 1978, this chapel was declared as a national historical landmark.
Note: This is part of LegendHarry‘s July 30-August 8, 2013 Panay Island Backpacking Trip.