Misamis Occidental is a province that protrudes in the northeastern side of the Zamboanga Peninsula Region. It is the western half of the former Spanish Province of Misamis which by the power of the Philippine Commission was re-created by virtue of Act No. 128 approved on May 15, 1901.
The full provisions of Act No. 83 or The Provincial Act of 1901 was extended to effect such recreation. The Province of Misamis also included the island of Camiguin and small adjacent islands. Act No. 128 designated the town of Cagayan as the provincial capital.
It should be noted that the former undivided provinces of Surigao and Misamis were excluded in the territorial jurisdiction of the Department of Mindanao and Sulu (Act No. 2408, July 23, 1914).
Authored by Sen. Jose Clarin of the Eleventh Senatorial District (Surigao, Misamis, and Bohol), Act No. 3537 divided the Province of Misamis into two (Misamis Occidental and Misamis Oriental) on November 2, 1929. The municipalities of Aloran, Baliangao, Clarin, Jimenez, Lopez Jaena, Misamis, Plaridel, Oroquieta, and Tudela. Oroquieta eventually became the provincial capital as a result of an election called for that purpose.
José Fortich Ozamiz was elected as the first governor of Misamis Occidental. He also represented the Lone District of Misamis Occidental to the Ninth and Tenth Philippine Legislatures and to the First and Second National Assemblies. He was also elected as a senator of the First Congress of the Commonwealth of the Philippines. Sen. Ozamiz was executed by the Japanese Imperial Army because of his involvement in the guerilla resistance movement. On June 19, 1948, the former town of Misamis was named after him when it was elevated into a city by virtue of Republic Act No. 321.
On June 21, 1969, President Ferdinand E. Marcos approved Republic Act No. 5518, the city charter of Oroquieta. It became effective on January 1, 1970.
Note: This is part of LegendHarry‘s Oct 1-10, 21013 Zamboanga Peninsula-Northern Mindanao-ARMM-Davao Regions Backpacking Trip.