As an important and strategically located ally of the United States of America in the Far East, the Commonwealth of the Philippines was unwittingly drawn into the Second World War. When Pearl Harbor in Hawaii was bombed on December 7, 1941, the US military installations in the Philippines was attacked hours later. In what otherwise could be a festive Christmas season, it was turned into somber, nightmarish and hopeless. Lives and fortunes were irreversibly changed forever from that point onwards. As the Philippines Campaign or the Battle of the Philippines dragged on, the war seemed to have no end. In Bataan Peninsula in particular, whereRead More →

On April 10, 1942, a day after the Fall of Bataan, the forlorn, famished and emaciated USAFFE soldiers would be dealt with inglorious and ignominious ordeal: the infamous Bataan Death March. And it begun in this side of Bataan Peninsula. A smaller number of Filipino-American forces were herded in the town of Bagac and forced to participate the Bataan Death March on April 11, 1942. The Bagac prisoners of war (POWs) had just passed the KM1 post. Today, the Filipino-Japanese Friendship Tower stands at the junction near the first kilometer mark. Finally but sadly, the Battles of Bataan and Corregidor had finally ended in aRead More →

The spiritual ministration of Orion belonged formerly with Abucay. Orion became an independent missionary center in 1667. Its first minister was the Reverend Domingo Perez. The church and the convent were badly damaged by the earthquakes of September 16, 1852, and were repaired in 1854. The Reverend Ulpiano Herrero constructed the beautiful sacristy and the marble altars. In this town, Cayetano Arellano, eminent Filipino jurist and statesman and the first Filipino Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, was born on March 2, 1847. Francisco Baltazar Balagtas, author of Florante at Laura, lived in this town from July 22, 1842 to February 20, 1862. (427)Read More →

The spiritual ministration of Balanga formerly belonged with Abucay. Balanga became an independent missionary center in 1739. Reverend Benito Rivas, O.P. strengthened this church by fortifying its walls. Reverend Juan Antonio Vicente, O.P. roofed it with galvanized iron and decorated the interior. Reverend Fernaldo Ma. Minano, O.P., from  1838-45 constructed the arch of the choir loft and made the baptismal font out of granite from Mariveles. The parochial ministration under the Filipino clergy started with Reverend Mariano Sarili on June 2, 1898. During the Battle of Bataan, the 14th Army positioned their artillery in the churchyard to bomb Mount Samat. (337)Read More →

Page 1 of 512345