The Islamic City of Marawi is the capital city of the Province of Lanao del Sur.The city was formerly called Dansalan, a thriving town along the banks of Agus River and Lake Lanao. By virtue of Commonwealth Act No. 592, President Manuel L. Quezon approved on August 19, 1940 the conversion of the town of Dansalan into a city. It was the last city chartered under the Commonwealth of the Philippines. On June 16, 1956, President Ramon Magsaysay signed Republic Act No. 1552 renamed Dansalan City into Marawi City. On May 22, 1959, President Carlos P. Garcia approved Republic Act No. 2228 dividing the ProvinceRead More →

The Province of Lanao del Sur is the slightly bigger southern half of the former Province of Lanao. During the American occupation of the Philippine Islands, the Philippine Commission implemented a national government and political reorganization. Pursuant to the provisions of Act No. 83 or otherwise known as The Provincial Government Act of 1901, Act No. 787 was approved on June 1, 1903 and made effective on July 15, 1903. Thus the Moro Province was created. The Municipality of Zamboanga was made as its capital (section 1). On July 23, 1914, Act No. 2408 renamed Moro Province as the Department of Mindanao and Sulu. ItRead More →

The Aga Khan Museum of Islamic Arts is one of the significant landmarks in Marawi City. When it was opened on June 13, 1962, the museum was first known as the University Folk Arts Center was opened. Founded by Dr. Mamitua D. Saber, it was one of the pioneer units of Mindanao State University. The museum was later renamed in honor of Prince Shah Karim Al Hussaini Aga Khan (Aga Khan IV). It was Aga Khan IV who made it possible for the construction of the museum where important memorabilia and priceless artifacts of the Maranao people are displayed. The Aga Khan Museum was officiallyRead More →