Facing Panguil Bay, the Fuerte de la Concepcion Y del Triunfo was a Spanish fortress built in 1707 by a Jesuit priest Father Jose Ducos. It was built to provide the townsfolk protection against the marauding pirates and to shelter for Spanish galleons. Also known as Cotta, the rectangularly-shaped Spanish fort had four bulwarks, namely, San Fernando, San Jose, Santiago, and San Ignacio. The Cotta was a headquarter of the Philippine Constabulary during the American occupation of the Philippine islands. During the Second World War, it was turned into a garrison by the Japanese Imperial Army. The fort was destroyed by a powerful earthquake inRead More →

The Church of San Juan Bautista is perched on an elevated part of the town of Jimenez, Misamis Occidental. Its construction was initiated by Father Roque Azona 1862. In 1891, it was completed by Father Constancio Asencio who also installed a pipe organ. Like other Spanish Colonial Era churches, the tabique pampango technique was used in the construction. Arguably, Church of San Juan Bautista is the best preserved church in the island of Mindanao. Hence on July 31, 2001, it was one of the Philippine colonial churches declared by the National Museum as a national cultural treasure. The National Commission for Culture and the ArtsRead More →

Misamis Occidental is a province that protrudes in the northeastern side of the Zamboanga Peninsula Region. It is the western half of the former Spanish Province of Misamis which by the power of the Philippine Commission was re-created by virtue of Act No. 128 approved on May 15, 1901. The full provisions of Act No. 83 or The Provincial Act of 1901 was extended to effect such recreation. The Province of Misamis also included the island of Camiguin and small adjacent islands. Act No. 128 designated the town of Cagayan as the provincial capital. It should be noted that the former undivided provinces of SurigaoRead More →