The Province of Zamboanga del Sur is a small piece in the bigger and former Spanish colonial era Zamboanga province. The latter originally encompassed the whole of the present-day Zamboanga Peninsula Region and the provinces of Basilan, Sulu, and Tawi-Tawi. Pursuant to the provisions of Act No. 83 or The Provincial Government Act of 1901, the Philippine Commission implemented a national political reorganization. In accordance with Act No. 787 approved on June 1, 1903 and made effective on July 15, 1903, the Moro Province was created out of Mindanao. It excluded provinces of Surigao and Misamis which were previously created under Act No. 127 andRead More →

Misamis Occidental is a province that protrudes in the northeastern side of the Zamboanga Peninsula Region. It is the western half of the former Spanish Province of Misamis which by the power of the Philippine Commission was re-created by virtue of Act No. 128 approved on May 15, 1901. The full provisions of Act No. 83 or The Provincial Act of 1901 was extended to effect such recreation. The Province of Misamis also included the island of Camiguin and small adjacent islands. Act No. 128 designated the town of Cagayan as the provincial capital. It should be noted that the former undivided provinces of SurigaoRead More →

On April 15, 1901, the Philippine Commission approved Act No. 115 creating the Province of Capiz. It was the third province to be organized in Panay Island pursuant to the provisions of the Provincial Government Act of 1901 (Act No. 83). The Province of Iloilo through Act No. 113 and the Province of Antique through Act No. 114 were organized on April 11 and April 13, respectively. The town of Capiz was named as the provincial capital (Section 5). It is now called as Roxas City. President Ramon Magsaysay signed Republic Act No. 1414 on April 25, 1956. It separated from the Province of CapizRead More →

The Province of Guimaras is the fifth smallest among the 80 provinces in the Philippines with an area of 604.57 square kilometers; the Philippines has a land area of 300,000 square kilometers. Pursuant to the provisions of Republic Act No. 4667 signed by President Ferdinand E. Marcos on June 18, 1966, “the Island of Guimaras and all the municipalities comprised therein are constituted into a subprovince of the Province of Iloilo, to be known as the Subprovince of Guimaras, with the seat of government in the Municipality of Jordan.” A lieutenant-governor headed the Subprovince of Guimaras. At the time of enactment of RA 4667, Jordan,Read More →

According to Section 1 of Act No. 113 approved by the Philippine Commission on April 11, 1901, all the provisions of The Provincial Government Act of 1901 was extended to a provincial government in that territory in the Island of Panay known as the Province of Iloilo, including the Comandancia of Concepcion. The town of Iloilo was made the capital of the province (section 5). General Martin Delgado became the first civilian governor from 1901 to 1904. Located beside the imposing new provincial capitol is called the Casa Real. Made of wood and stone during the Spanish colonial era, the Casa Real was the seatRead More →

Page 1 of 712345...Last »